Skip to content

IAP and Non-GT Programs FAQs

Here you will find answers to commonly asked questions regarding International Academic Projects (IAPs) and Non-GT Programs.

International Academic Projects (IAPs)

  1. Do I have to enroll in insurance?
    • Yes. All students in the GT Travel Registry will be enrolled in the institute's comprehensive international health insurance provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). The cost for the insurance will be billed to your Bursar account. 
  2. What is an International Academic Project (IAP)?
    • International Academic Projects are international travel affiliated with Georgia Tech, but are not traditional study abroad programs. Examples include research abroad, service learning, conferences, independent study, design competitions, special problems course, academic competitions, senior design, volunteer programs.
  3. Why do I need to enroll in the GT Travel Registry?
    • Primarily, the GT Travel Registry allows our office and Georgia Tech leadership to contact/locate you abroad in case of emergency. Knowing this basic contact information, along with enrolling you in our comprehensive international health insurance, allows Georgia Tech to act as efficiently and effectively as possible in response to situations abroad.

Non-GT Programs
  1. Can I go on a program offered by another university?
    • Yes. However, please note that Non-GT programs are highly independent. For information on transferring credit from a Non-GT program, you should contact the Registrar. To get more information on everything you need to consider before participating on a non-GT program, you should contact OIE to discuss your plan with the Non-GT Programs Advisor.  To schedule an appointment, email  
  2. I want to attend a non-GT summer program facilitated by an international university, will I be able to transfer my courses back to GT?
    • OIE cannot guarantee your summer program courses will transfer on a Non-GT program. Please refer to the ‘Non-GT sponsored Study Abroad Credit & International Credit’ section on the Registrar’s website and contact the Registrar with any questions regarding international summer programs.
  3. Do I need to complete a Foreign Credit Approval (FCA) form for a Non-GT program?
    • No. FCA forms are for Georgia Tech exchange programs only. Non-GT program participants will complete all foreign credit transfer via Buzzport. Contact the Registrar with any questions regarding foreign course approval and transfer.